Sunday, January 2, 2011

Book Review: Can You Get Hooked on Lip Balm? by Perry Romanowski


Title: Can You Get Hooked on Lip Balm?
Author: Perry Romanowski
Publisher: Harlequin
Release Date: 02/15/2011
ISBN: 0373892349







My friends will all vouch for me when I say that I'm not all that much of a fashionista or into makeup. That's why I usually am not interested in some of the must have tomes such as Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me. I do, however, have an interest in lip balm & that's what ultimately made me curious about this book. (Much like Napoleon Dynamite, my lips chap "real bad" & I'm always on the lookout for awesome lip balm.)

Why does my shampoo stop working?
Are my cosmetics poisoning me?
What does hypoallergenic mean?
Are organic products better?

Every day thousands of people turn to the scientists at the popular blog THEBEAUTYBRAINS.COM for answers to their most pressing beauty questions. In Can You Get Hooked on Lip Balm? * you’ll learn how cosmetic products work, what advertising claims actually mean, and how to make smarter buying decisions.

YOU’LL DISCOVER THAT:
• Salon products are not necessarily better than products you can buy in the store.
• Some of the most expensive cosmetics are made by the same companies that make the less expensive brands, and often the same formulas are used in both.
• You do not need to spend hundreds of dollars to look and feel good.

YOU’LL ALSO FIND:
• 4 ways to tell if your cosmetic has expired
• 5 home beauty gadgets that really work
• 4 easy tips to longer, stronger nails
• and much, much more!
* You can! See chapter 6.


The book covers a wide variety of subjects (one of which is the titular lip balm question), which runs from hair care to makeup to pore strips. While I'll admit that some of the information such as the listing of ingredients occasionally went over my head (some of them I'd never heard of before & had no idea what they were), the questions & answers in the book were always interesting to read. Even better, there's always a 'Bottom Line' at the end of each question that gives a brief synopsis & say-so for the ones that aren't as savvy on all of the lingo unleashed in the answer.

Is this a must buy? Well... maybe not for everyone. People who are intrigued by what goes on in your personal care items will want it, as will those who are interested in going into the beauty industry. Those who are just getting into makeup & such will find it helpful. Everyone else might not be swayed by it, but I've no doubt that they'll find it interesting enough for at least one read. This was just a really easy book to read, so there's no fear of getting lost in professional jargon.

(ARC provided by NetGalley)

No comments:

Post a Comment