Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Book Review: Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr


Title: Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely #5)
Author: Melissa Marr
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: 02/22/2011
ISBN: 0061659258











I've been eagerly awaiting the end to this series for quite some time now & when my bookstore got its copies in, I was one of the first to grab a copy to read. I have to admit that my expectations for this were extremely high & I'll admit that it didn't quite fulfill all of them. It did, however, keep me entertained & happy enough to want to recommend it to people.

The Summer King is missing; the Dark Court is bleeding; and a stranger walks the streets of Huntsdale, his presence signifying the deaths of powerful fey.

Aislinn tends to the Summer Court, searching for her absent king and yearning for Seth. Torn between his new queen and his old love, Keenan works from afar to strengthen his court against the coming war. Donia longs for fiery passion even as she coolly readies the Winter Court for battle. And Seth, sworn brother of the Dark King and heir to the High Queen, is about to make a mistake that could cost his life.

Love, despair, and betrayal ignite the Faery Courts, and in the final conflict, some will win . . . and some will lose everything.



This book pretty much dives into the action immediately, so if you haven't read any of the previous books in the series or have skipped any, you'll be completely left out. This book kind of expects that you've read the previous books- especially Radiant Shadows- in order to see how some things in this book are done. (No spoilers, but after finishing this I realize why RS was the way it was.)

I'll admit that a few of the actions in this book were a little anti-climactic to me (probably because I've been anticipating them so much), but they were still pretty cool. We get a portion of this book from Keenan's POV, which I was surprised to find that I rather liked. He's been such a royal PITA for most of the series & it was surprising to see that part of his actions towards Ash was due to her waffling over him & Seth. (Even if only waffling very slightly.)

The ending was pretty cool as well. No spoilers over what happens, but it was pretty well done. The Irial/Niall dynamics were the best part of the book & I have to admit that I could have had an entire book just about the two of them & been happy about it. There's a definite ending to all of this, but Marr left enough open to where she could return to this later on if she so chose.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, looks like I'd better start with the first in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely start with the first one, otherwise you'll get lost pretty quickly. It's a good series & I'm trying really hard to find a new similar type of book series to read in its place. Nothing is tripping my trigger so far, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read only the first of the books and wasn't that convinced, but maybe i'll give it another try...

    ReplyDelete