Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Book Review: Night and Chaos by Naomi Clark


Title: Night and Chaos (The Deva Chronicles #1)
Author: Naomi Clark
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services (self published)
Release Date: 01/01/2011
Buy it here: Amazon Kindle







If I could afford to buy up tons of copies of this book just so I could put it all in your hot little hands, I would. That's how cool this novella was. After reading another of Clark's works (Afterlife) I was immediately taken with her storytelling abilities, but after reading this I can't help but wonder why we aren't seeing her name plastered all over the shelves at your local Barnes & Nobles along with the heavyweights of the UF genre.

Ryan McCarthy fled Applied Paranormal Theory and Tactics, her father, and her lover six years ago, desperate to build life away from the weird science and supernatural experiments of her childhood. But everything she hoped to escape comes back with a vengeance when she’s kidnapped and tortured by a possessed APTT employee out for revenge on the man responsible for his possession: Ryan’s father.

Now, reunited with the lover she abandoned, Ryan is forced back into a world of danger and darkness she no longer understands, pursued by enemies with powers she can’t fathom. But Ryan’s not entirely powerless herself. She’ll have to use every trick she knows – as well as the mystic gift she hates – to stay ahead of those enemies. And that will be easier said than done.

This book might be short, but it's so well written that you won't notice the length until the book's end & you find yourself crying out for more. I honestly can't say what I liked more- the story or the characters. I loved Ryan for her kick butt attitude (even when she was rather helpless to defend herself) & I also loved the rich world that Clark has created. Then there's the powers- I loved how the shapeshifting in this universe didn't follow all of the tried & true rules that other books frequently use. It makes it that much easier for this universe to stand on its own & be taken seriously.

This book was so cool that Clark makes it all look so effortless & easy. This is as good as it gets & trust me, it doesn't get any better than this. I should know- I read enough to where some have said I should have gone blind years ago. If you don't read this book then you are seriously missing out on some real talent here.

So far this is only available in ebook format for the kindle, but this is worth downloading the Kindle PC option to your desktop. (Plus at only $3 it's far cheaper than some of the other UF options out there...)

(Reader's copy provided by author)

No comments:

Post a Comment